Sunday, February 7, 2010

Sunshine, how you taunt me!

Why is it that on the "warm" days of winter (over 30 degrees), it is always grey and depressingly overcast, yet it is on the sharp, knock-the-wind-out-of-you cold days (20 or below) that the sun pours through the windows, taunting us with its deceivingly warm glow?  I'm not sure, but it seems like a mean trick to me.

We are having a quiet evening here, which is a relief after our hour and half wrestling session at church today when I (un)successfully attempted to keep four little ones quiet and well behaved in a pew.  By the time church let out, I had had quite the workout.

I'm working on F's birthday dress, which is really coming along quite quickly.   I'm knitting it up on Knitpicks Shine Sport, which is incredibly soft and has a beautiful drape to it.  The bodice is completely finished and most of the skirt.  I wouldn't be surprised if I finished the lacework part of the skirt tonight and had the whole thing finished tomorrow.  I'm still contemplating what to do about the straps.  Lately I've been shying away from spaghetti straps when it comes to my girls, so if I have enough yarn I may attempt some butterfly ruffles on them just for a little more coverage.    Next in my project queue is D's birthday dress, the same pattern, just a size bigger.  D's is a lovely magenta pink, and F's is periwinkle blue, just like her eyes.  Having  both birthdays in March makes for a busy February for Mama!

Yesterday we had an impromptu waldorf doll hospital day.  F's baby needed a wig reattachment, and D's needed a bath.  She also wanted to cut her hair a little bit shorter.  We gave them both a little bit more rose to their cheeks and dressed them in their finest.  Getting them all cleaned up again had me thinking I should really make them both a few more outfits...maybe something along the lines of Laura and Mary from the Little House stories.  In the interest of being a bit more frugal though, I think I'll scour my local thrift stores for old sheets or fabric for the project.  J's birthday is also in March, his very first!  I was thinking of making him a little one piece baby doll, but I'm not sure I'll have enough time.   I have leftover doll materials from when I made the girls, so that isn't a problem.  I want to make all 3 of them Birthday Crowns as well so I really do have a lot on my plate in that department!

I'm still struggling with our odd schedule as far as school is concerned.  Tomorrow will be a very structured, get down to business sort of school day.  We have quite a few things we simply MUST accomplish.  It will probably end up being a no TV/Computer day just out of pure necessity, which is just fine with me.  We need to get back on track!

Stay tuned for my very first "WIP Wednesday" if you want a peek at the birthday dresses!

3 comments:

  1. J canNOT be 1! That dress is going to be lovely, I think the ruffle would be perfect. Reading this makes me want to get better at updating my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, newsy, incredibly easy to relate to post. :) Thanks for sharing the ups and downs. It is a blessing to this mom of three.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - email me if you need some fabric - my mom has tons of stashes since she does costuming in her spare time. I'm positive she has doll clothes type material laying about. Oh, and for the Prairie outfits, don't forget bonnets! :) I had one when I was little that was for my head and LOVED it. Wore it everywhere for about a year, from what I can tell in pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!