Wednesday, February 17, 2010

WIP Wednesday/Traditions and Memories

Do you ever have the moment of panic, thinking "my kids are growing up so fast. Are they having a fun life?  Are they enjoying life to the fullest?  What are they going to remember most from childhood?"  I have those moments from time to time.  When the panic hits, its helpful for me to reflect on my own childhood, one that, from my perspective, was the most fun a child could have.  The things I remember and treasure are not necessarily the things that cost a lot of money.  I have a few hazy memories from the week spent in Florida when I was five, the beach vacation to Myrtle Beach when I was twelve and the handful of movies my parents took us to.  What I remember most are the traditions my family had, some more frequent than others.  Those are what hold the deepest and dearest memories for me.  Spending summers camping in Canada, the image of my mom washing dishes in that big green bowl with a baby in the backpack.  My dad making pancakes on a Saturday morning, just for fun.  Sweaty summer evenings racing through the neighborhood on my bike with my friends, singing at the top of my lungs.  More recently, my dearest moments are summer cookouts with my family, an afternoon spent at the park with the kids, "family breakfast" on our midweek mornings.  Kids and adults too really thrive on traditions, even just the daily routines of life.  They'll remember most the dishcloth swinging from Dad's waist as he flips bacon on the skillet, and mom singing "Princess songs" while brushing the little girls' hair.  Childhood does not have to be a series of expensive activities or events.  Sometimes regular life makes the best memories of all.

"Family Breakfast" is a tradition we all love...mmmm bacon!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its WIP Wednesday!  My favorite blogging day of the week.  This is where I show off some of my Works in Progress.  Due to randomly making that pillow with my girls on Sunday night and waiting for some more fabric to come before putting together our patchwork quilt, I don't have very many WIPs this week.  That being said, I do have a very special WIP - possibly the longest standing WIP ever.

F's birthday crown WIP.  Not much early morning light for these pictures, bear with me.


J's WIP birthday crown


Little birdy on J's crown


Not sure why the colors are coming out so oddly.  I need some more inspiration for these birthday crowns...not sure what else to put on them.  Thoughts?


D's birthday dress.  I'm losing steam on this project, I'm in the skirt section which is SO BORING until you get to the lacework at the bottom.  Luckily I have over a month til its "due" so I can take my time.


Now for the ultimate WIP - I began this sampler when I was 8 years old.  I found it in my parents basement and brought it home.  Now I'm not sure what to do...finish where my 8 year old self left off, or leave it unfinished?  It needs to be ironed.  I'm thinking of framing it.  My mom has a sampler (much more fabulous) that my Grandma made when she was a young girl.  It is one of my favorite things in my mother's house.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


We visited the Thrift Store again yesterday, just for a bit of an outing.  I rescued a pretty JCrew button down with a spring-y floral print (not pictured) and a basket to keep all Husband's odds and ends in (better than leaving them around the house!).  We also found these:


a precious little candleholder that just needs a beeswax candle


Not bad for 20 cents.


vintage lace ribbon - I think this will be used for F's birthday dress' straps.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


That's it from me for today.  Have a blessed Midweek with your family!


4 comments:

  1. I think you should just leave the sampler as is, I think that sometimes there is something sweet about half finished things.
    On the topic things made by 8 year old Lydia, I was thinking about stuff for my walls the other day and how I'm thinking about framing some paper dolls and I remembered that I have a funny little elephant lady paper doll that Hannah made me that I should frame and then I remembered that I have a little pillow you made that had an elephant on it maybe I'll take apart the pillow and frame that as well.
    Also my mom has you on the longest WIP ever she has a rug hooking project she started when she was preg with me! Maybe by the time I turn 30 she will have it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, we seem to lead such similar lives. I hit the thrift store today as well. When I was in Missouri the last time, my mom gave me this tiny little stitched quilt I made when I was 9-10ish years old. It is not very pretty, but I hand stitched it while she read out loud to us in the evenings. It is so precious to me, albeit not very lovely to look at though. Funny how those things can become treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you go to the thrift store behind the MI ave Library? I saw it for the first time the other day when we were coming out of the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes - it is tiny and often has nothing worth having...but because it is so small, it is often overlooked by other bargain seekers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!