Wednesday, February 2, 2011

*Refilling*

My alarm beeps and I slide out of bed, careful not to disturb little one who slipped in with me in the middle of the night. I tuck him in again and make my creaky way down the stairs, stopping only to pick up the basket of laundry waiting for me.

I'm in the kitchen before I turn on the light, hold my breath and listen - was I followed? Perhaps today the silence will stretch a bit longer. I start coffee and make my way to the living room.

Here I am met with the last reminders of yesterday - a pair of trains abandoned on the coffee table, a ball of yarn lying soft on the floor, a crayon (two?) under a chair. The candlesticks on my mantle have been standing sentry all night, backs straight, watching over a house laid to rest and waiting for the morrow.

And its here. I crack open words, sip coffee and feed a soul; I close my eyes and, in silence, my heart speaks. The furnace clicks on downstairs. I take deep breaths.

Now, fully centered, with hope and intent, I can begin my day. It feels so good, these moments of silent communion, I wonder - why do I have such a poor soul - memory?  Why can't I remember how wonderful this is, giving the first fruits of my day to the One who made it all possible?

At the end of the day, I am usually drained - empty of every drop.  I crawl into bed bone dry, completely depleted.  I need to refuel, refill before I can take on another.  And the days that I don't, well, I live my entire day empty.  And it doesn't feel good.

Last sip of coffee, and its time to start laundry - unload dishwasher, get breakfast on the table.  The day has begun.  And I'm ready.

Bookmark Digg Bookmark Del.icio.us Bookmark Facebook Bookmark Reddit Bookmark StumbleUpon Bookmark Yahoo Bookmark Google Bookmark Technorati Bookmark Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!