Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Fiona's Rainbow Playdress

A few weeks back I participated in a fun "Rainbow Yarn Swap" that my friend Sara organized.  Each person dyed a color of the rainbow, and then the skeins were divided into 1 oz portions and sent to everyone.  Being a newbie to the dyeing scene, Sara dyed my yarn for me.  I received the yarn on Monday and quickly cast on for a little dress/tunic for Fiona, a project I've been planning for some time.



The color changes made this knit go by so quickly, I knit the entire thing in less than a day!  I contemplated doing some sort of lace pattern for the skirt, but ultimately decided to let the beautiful hand dyed semi solids speak for themselves. I'm not a big fan of pink in a rainbow, but I wanted the extra length so I added it anyway...I think it turned out great!



This pattern is very sweet for a little girl and has a lot of different options to choose from.  Fiona decided on the full skirt option and I repeated the eyelet of the waist for the hem.  I didn't count rows for the stripes, just knit til the end of each mini skein of yarn.



I love this type of garment - it works well as a dress and can "grow with" the child, gradually becoming a top to wear with pants or shorts.  Although Fiona's chest measurement is closer to a 2T, I went with the 4T size for extended wear.



I think she's pretty pleased with it.


Ravelry notes can be found here.

Bookmark Digg Bookmark Del.icio.us Bookmark Facebook Bookmark Reddit Bookmark StumbleUpon Bookmark Yahoo Bookmark Google Bookmark Technorati Bookmark Twitter

6 comments:

  1. Lydia, that is SO pretty and you knit so fast! Beautiful work and pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful! I would have loved something like that as a girl! You are talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adore! I wish that I could dress in knit dresses, sigh if only one could knit an adult sized dress in a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just beautiful! You have such a talent! Thank you for the link to buy the pattern, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the kind words! I've had this dress in my minds' eye for some time, its so fun to see it in real life! I can't stop looking at her and she can't stop twirling. I'd say win/win :-).

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful!! I want in on a rainbow yarn swap!! Let me know how!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!