Thursday, August 23, 2012

On Throwing Our Lives Away

  "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her;"
Ephesians 5:25-27

Last night, I slipped in the dark house and locked the door behind me.  The kitchen clock ticked sharply in the stillness: 1:30 am.

I groaned inwardly, remembering the bare refrigerator and those kids of mine who somehow always seem to require meals.  "I'll come back early," I had said. "I'll hit the grocery store."  He hadn't responded, but I know what he must have been thinking: "On girl's night?  I won't hold my breath."

I tiptoed up the stairs and slid into bed after setting my alarm - that I then must have slept through.  When I crept down the stairs this morning, he was standing in a sun-spot on the kitchen floor, laden with grocery bags.  "Late for work," he mumbled, kissing me quickly and waving to the baby before heading out the door.  I peeked inside bags and found the essentials for getting through a day in this house with these kids.  Sacks full of love right there on the kitchen floor as the van pulled away, grumbling up the gravel drive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Will you make me the happiest man in the world?" The music swells and breathless women lean toward the television screen.  A cliche these days, the words so many men speak in movies and yes even occasionally in real life.  The hallmark of the marriage proposal.  Yet the more I think about marriage and look at the state of it in our culture, the more it seems to rub me the wrong way.

Maybe it should come as no surprise that an institution that has become just another way to secure personal happiness and fulfillment finds itself failing at record rates.  I can't be satisfied by these false hopes and keep wondering when people will truly see what marriage was created to be and what it truly is.  I certainly didn't know, nearly 10 years ago, before that alter. In his proposal, my husband wisely did not ask me to promise to make him happy.  Perhaps he knew, even then, even when I didn't?

Getting married at 18 meant I likely had more than my fair share of advice from outsiders.  "Throwing your life away," was something I was strongly cautioned against.  It makes me smile now to think back on those well-meaning people, wanting nothing more than my happiness.  Especially now that I know that true Christian marriage makes no such promises.

Marriage is, has always been, set up to be a ghostly echo, a mirror, a reflection of Christ's love for the church.  And not the "Because you make me so happy!" kinds of love.  No, Christ showed us what true love is - true love is sacrificial.  True love is service.  True love is commitment and purpose.  Christ's entire message was one of personal loss for the purpose of eternal love.

It may not sound as romantic as "Make me the happiest man in the world!" but marriage is not about cheap thrills based on fast fleeting emotion.  It is so more than that.  If we could see that marriage is sacrificial living, perhaps our marriages wouldn't be doomed to fail at epic rates.

My husband makes me happy.  Who wouldn't love a man who brings groceries and lets her sleep?  I hope I make him happy, but I'm thankful that even when I don't, he doesn't see it as a breakdown in our relationship.  He's a man who know's what love is.  He's a man who "threw his life away" for me, just as I did him.  Every day that he works to feed our kids, every day that he overlooks my failings and flaws and continues in on this earthly journey with me, yes, even when I make him downright angry?  He is living out true marriage vows, the type that show the world what Christ's love is all about.  Personal sacrifice.  Eternal love.  Dying to self, serving others.





{If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or follow me by email at the top right hand of the screen to have future posts sent to you.}

 

20 comments:

  1. We got a lot of that "advice" when we got married at 19, but I have never regretted the decision for a second. We certainly had a lot to learn, but God used the early years to "grow us up" together and build our relationship on Christ instead of our own happiness. I pray my children also marry young and learn to rely fully on the Lord at an early age and that they are love being married as much as we do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it seems a bit easier to young marrieds because we never knew the "freedom" of single life lived completely for ourselves? Don't get me wrong, marriage is many things but easy is not one of them. But I wonder if I was shielded from getting used to a certain life before melding mine with that of another.

      Delete
    2. I have talked abut this before with another friend of mine that was married at 18. We see that often (not always) women who have been independent before marriage for a longer period of time tend to struggle more in the area of submission. I went from being under my parents authority to being under my husbands covering and the transition was not as difficult as I have seen with those married later. I admire my friends that are single young women who are staying home under their parents' authority and pursuing their education through distance learning or building up a small business while they wait for the Lord to bring them a husband.

      Delete
  2. wow... your words are so wise and true.
    YES... after 38 years of marriage I can tell you it is in the giving and sharing that your relationship will grow deeper and knowing that 'she needs time away' is just as important as 'he needs time'. He probably didn't mind the quiet time in the grocery store. That was VERY thoughtful and more special than cards and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post, as usual. I agree totally. My husband washed my feet as he asked me to marry him. He promised to lead me as a servant, just like Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that. Your husband understood it from day one!

      Delete
  4. I dont think that it is easier for anyone the younger they are... but I guess that depends on their mindset too. I think if I would have gotten married at your age I would have probably cheated and been a horrible spouse. I can say that with a great certainty. I have nothing but respect for those like you that can get married so young and have the maturity to make it work, let alone flourish at it. I know that I would have seen my friends and longed for that. I was 21 when I got married and have caught myself longing for that still occasionally... but I know now how to control those feelings. I posted this on my FB so that not only my friends can read it but so I can go back and reread it.

    @Emily-if you didn't know the backstory to feet washing that would be so weird but that is one of the best proposals ever..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casey, the early years of our marriage were very difficult. We did lack maturity and I will be the first to say that it is by the grace of God alone that we made it through. But I wonder if more people know what marriage is truly about, would it give them pause to evaluate if marriage is truly what they want?

      Delete
  5. I think this is a beautiful and wise post. It put into words I've been thinking for a while.

    I've been reading your blogs for years now, and it's been a wonderful thing to see how your marriage and family have changed and shaped you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend shared this on facebook today. I loved the post! I too married at 18 to a man that suffers from severe depression. I heard I was also "throwing my life away." But 6 years later and 3 beautiful children, I can see that it was the best thing I did in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this... Your husband sounds a lot like mine. When I am dog tired he always is happy (or willing) to run to the store for needed items. Love our husbands who share unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this so much. What a beautiful beautiful marriage and relationship. Thanks for sharing! Love your blog so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful testimony - what wisdom. I met a deacon in graduate school who told me that his view on marriage was that he always tried to outserve his wife. Not that it was a competition, but if he quietly went about trying to give even more than she did, then true sacrificial love would be at the heart of their marriage every day. Sounds like you needed decades less to learn the same lesson. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so beautiful! I wish all young people were taught the truth about marriage to avoid so much heartbreak!

      Delete
  10. Thanks Lydia. Good stuff. My hubs has done the late night/early a.m. run for me as well. We are blessed in having husbands that live out Christ's love in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this. My husband and I got married when I was 17 and he was 18. We got a lot of strange looks and comments as well, and it took me a few years before I could even admit to being married without feeling an odd sense of shame and judgement. It is not through us that we are still together 5 years later, and I can't say that I would recommend others to get married young as it is difficult and a constant battle to make things work. It is nice to hear from others who were also married young and have made it so far as I rarely see this outside of my own family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marriage was hard in those early years. It is only now, almost 10 years in, that I am beginning to see how those beautiful hard won days have led us both to a deeper and more spirit filled marriage. God has been faithful to us! I can't recommend young marriage for everyone, either. I do hope to spread what marriage is truly about, though, and educate my own children, so that whenever they choose to marry, they understand it from day one.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!