Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Family Milestones










Our sweet and gentle Peter turned 2 during a flurry of whole family sickness - and when I mean whole, I mean extended family included.  It is all definitely throwing wrench in our plans for "vacation" as person after person bites the dust.  Peter's birthday celebration has now been pushed back twice, but he doesn't seem to mind (or notice), so that is all well and good. At this point, we plan to celebrate tomorrow, somewhere between parades and fireworks.

On his actual birthday, Peter turned to me and pointed to himself.  "Me."  He tapped me again to get my attention, pointed to himself and said "Me."  And I know it's commonplace, something everyone figures out at some time, but I just stood there and marveled at the miracle of a child, just 2 years old, understanding the concept of being someone, being "me," and finding a way to express that. Amazing, miraculous stuff.

Yesterday, Rosemary turned 3 months old.  The difference in her temperament has been night and day in the past week, and I'm just so thrilled and relieved.  She's becoming delightfully chubby, laughs and smiles all day and loves "talking" to her Mama during our special naptime each day, something I'm really trying to keep up with.  Having a new baby in the house and making space in ones' life for another person to love is definitely a process.  As that "fourth trimester" drew to a close, I've noticed the need to be more intentional in making time for the two of us to connect and bond.  Having a newborn around and being aware of the absolute necessity for physical touch to grow a child has reminded me of that need in all of my relationships.  So I make sure I get physical contact in with all of my kids every day and we're all so blessed by it.  I reach out and hug my sister in law when the going gets tough, and I rub my husband's back at the end of a long day at work.  This stuff matters, but is so easy to forget.

And of course, my favorite part of all is just watching the kids love each other.  It's such a miraculous, important part of life that will change how they treat others for the rest of their time on this planet.  Sure, there are the squabbles, name calling (even though I do my best to prevent it), tears and struggles, but I can see the broader view of what this family is becoming.  And it's a good thing.  A very, very good thing.


If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing for future updates.  Thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!