Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Frosty Goodness Smoothie Pop Recipe








So it's summer - real, hot, humid, sweaty summer.  Out in the garden, those tomato plants are waist high.  Kids are growing, too, though just a bit more slowly.  And, as happens every year, I'm getting downright disenchanted with most meal options.  In the heat of the summer, it's not just cooking that sounds about as appealing as diving into a volcano, but eating, too, seems to be on the proverbial back burner.  My kids are less and less interested in big meals and more inclined to snack dinners, lighter fare, less filling but more frequent.  So while it is great to substitute wraps and salads for dinners, coming up with several smaller meals during the day keeps me returning to the kitchen more and more frequently.

My husband bought the Nutri-Bullet back in May as a birthday present to himself, although I think I've gotten much more use out of it.  As skeptical as I was when he brought it home, I very quickly became accustomed to replacing a meal with a smoothie, or making smoothies for the kids' for breakfast.  Quick, easy and nutritionally sound, smoothies became our new go-to...that is, until we spied this 6 pop popsicle mould at IKEA the other night.  And now...smoothie pops!  Below is my basic recipe, easily customizable to whatever fruit you have on hand.  Of course you can make popsicle with just fruit juice, or fruit juice and blended fruit, but I like sneaking a bit of protein into this snack, using creamy delicious greek yogurt.

Basic Smoothie Pops:


  • 1/2 C yogurt (we prefer unsweetened organic greek)

  • 1/2 C berries 

  • 1 whole banana

  • Honey to taste (we like the raw stuff - so delicious!)

  • Blend it up, pour it in the moulds, add sticks and freeze for at least 5 hours.  Makes 6 pops.


Now why on earth did I only buy 1 set of moulds?  Live and learn.

(For a tropical twist, try substituting berries for pineapple and adding some coconut!)



If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to future posts.  Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I've done this before. I love being able to offer Popsicles for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to do this, but it's tricky making good popsicles that have protein and are dairy free! I use wooden craft sticks and paper dixie cups for a popsicle mold. The children just tear the cup to get the popsicle...K

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!