Monday, June 23, 2014

Be Still #MindfulMotheringMondays












Last week, I packed up my 12 passenger van and 6 kids, kissed my husband goodbye and drove 200 miles away to the shore of Lake Michigan. I've been at this Mama thing long enough to know that the word "Vacation" means many thing to many people, but for a Mom? It rarely means rest. In many ways, vacation is more work than regular life, with small children having a hard time sleeping in unfamiliar places and older kids wanting to go-go-go all day long. Add to that the fact that my husband couldn't join us until Friday and there I was, single parenting on vacation. I kept my expectations of any real rest and certainly any relaxation incredibly low.

I was surprised when moments found me despite my not looking for them. That's the amazing thing about nature. When the kids are out in it, they can get so caught up in climbing dunes or finding bugs or creating elaborate sand castles that they inadvertently give Mama a bit of a break. More than once I'd find myself in near silence, sitting alone while my children played contentedly around me. More than I could have possibly hoped for.

I brought no book to read on vacation, sure I'd have no time for it anyway. I left my journal at home, too. There was nothing for me to sit still within those moments and just breathe - and be. It felt so strange and so, so good. Moments with no agenda attached, just drifting over me. A strange, alien feeling to me, after so many years with so many things to be done, squeezed into every day. It took a moment to remember how to just sit and be still.

Sometimes I can get so caught up in the swirl of activity or (let's be honest) the draw of mindless internet clicking, that I can fall right off the wagon of a mindful, intentional day with my kids. Even with that as my daily goal, I can fall prey to the culture of rush and busywork and forget that a moment at peace is not a moment wasted but a moment lived.

I held on to that peace through the week, the reunion with Daddy over the weekend, packing it all up again and the three hour drive home. The truth about mothering is that every moment is work. Yes, it absolutely is. But every moment is also grace. Grace to breathe. Grace to gather your thoughts. Grace to grieve your mistakes and grace to dust yourself off and keep putting one foot in front of the other. After a week away, I'm grasping grace and moving onward. One moment at a time.

”Small


{It's Mindful Mothering Mondays, a day to take a deep breath and write out your mothering journey, whatever form it takes. A day to link up for encouragement from others who are in this same phase of life. A day of writing out the trials and triumphs and what you're learning right where you are, right now.

You might post recent struggles or thoughts. Maybe just a picture or a quote. Or maybe you'll just come here and read the links that others post. Whatever form your participation takes, this is a day for you.
We are all in this, together. Together, we can encourage and build one another up, be honest with our shortcomings and strengthened by community to keep fighting the good fight.

I chose Mondays because what Mama doesn't need a little encouragement on a Monday? As such, I'll have the link up ready to go on Sunday night for you to begin submitting your links.

I hope you'll meet with me each Monday! Here's what to do ~

Link up your post below. Remember to put the link to the exact post you want to link, and not just your blog url. Include in your post a link back here so others who want to join in can find us! And visit some other Mamas who have linked up.

Post the community graphic within your post, so people who are reading your Mindful Mothering post can come back here and find the rest of us!

Invite the writers of your favorite blogs to join in!

Share this meme with others on facebook and twitter. This community is for all moms, and the more that participate, the more we will be able to enjoy!!}

Grab the graphic here:



”Small




If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to future posts.  Thank you.


1 comment:

  1. The moments between are the best! They are often so unexpected and easily unnoticed, so glad you found them last week!....K

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!