Monday, June 16, 2014

{Gently} #MindfulMotheringMondays


Psst: I'm taking a much needed break from the internet this week, but I've left behind a few posts for you in my absence, focusing on the practice of peace and rest. Have a blessed week!




James 3:17 

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere.

The formal living room in my Mom's house was always cool and hushed, save on holidays when the fire crackled warm and voices sparked in laughter and debate.  But on a normal rainy afternoon when I'd settle myself on that black piano bench, it resembled the quiet solitude of a chapel.

One of the last pieces I remember playing was "Anne's Theme" from the BBC's Anne of Green Gables miniseries.  Perhaps that alone gives quiet testimony to how little I progressed, despite years of lessons.  Oh, to have that chance again!  Hindsight's 20/20 and I haven't touched the ivories in years.

Still, I remember.  That little note on the music, right above the key register:

"Gently, and with great feeling."

I'd close my eyes, take a deep breath in and then --- with as much feeling and gentleness as I could clumsily convey, I'd begin.

These days, I can't get those words out of my mind.  They've become a bit of a mantra of sorts, and in my mind's eye I can see them still on that dog-eared bit of music.  When the five year old stamps her foot mid-tantrum.  When the toddler is all crazy and loud and I'm an impatient mess.  When the oldest one is stalling on his school work and I just want to be done already.

I close my eyes tight and think - gently, and with great feeling.

It cools and calms me and I can gain some perspective.

It's not my job to out-shout the toddler.  In fact, I've found that the more I escalate, the more he follows my lead.  Gently correcting him with restraint, quiet yet firm, I can see the difference.  He pricks up his ears and he hears me.


 Proverbs 15:1 

A soft answer turns away wrath,

but a harsh word stirs up anger.


You can catch more flies with honey, after all, and gentleness becomes a calming balm on the relationships in my life.  It doesn't always come easy - my temper burns fiery hot and can run away, wild, if I let it.  I've been set in a place of authority over these little ones, but I can choose gentleness in how I lead them.

My job is to live and love gently, with great feeling.  When I'm not fiercely defending my own honor or stubbornly digging my heels in, I can feel the peace washing right over me.


“I choose gentleness… Nothing is won by force. I choose to be gentle. If I raise my voice may it be only in praise. If I clench my fist, may it be only in prayer. If I make a demand, may it be only of myself. ”


— Max Lucado






”Small


{It's Mindful Mothering Mondays, a day to take a deep breath and write out your mothering journey, whatever form it takes. A day to link up for encouragement from others who are in this same phase of life. A day of writing out the trials and triumphs and what you're learning right where you are, right now.

You might post recent struggles or thoughts. Maybe just a picture or a quote. Or maybe you'll just come here and read the links that others post. Whatever form your participation takes, this is a day for you.
We are all in this, together. Together, we can encourage and build one another up, be honest with our shortcomings and strengthened by community to keep fighting the good fight.

I chose Mondays because what Mama doesn't need a little encouragement on a Monday? As such, I'll have the link up ready to go on Sunday night for you to begin submitting your links.

I hope you'll meet with me each Monday! Here's what to do ~

Link up your post below. Remember to put the link to the exact post you want to link, and not just your blog url. Include in your post a link back here so others who want to join in can find us! And visit some other Mamas who have linked up.

Post the community graphic within your post, so people who are reading your Mindful Mothering post can come back here and find the rest of us!

Invite the writers of your favorite blogs to join in!

Share this meme with others on facebook and twitter. This community is for all moms, and the more that participate, the more we will be able to enjoy!!}

Grab the graphic here:



”Small



If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to future posts.  Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Taking a break every now and then is not bad...have fun

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!