Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Tears and Neverland



It's been awhile since I blogged about knitting. The truth is, although I have quite a few projects "in progress," I've stalled out a bit. Long days out in the sun with my kids and evenings in front of the fire with a baby or two in my lap have kept me from moving along. It's been good, this immersion into this season where wool is really the last thing on my mind and I'm still pretending (hoping?) that winter won't come again for at least 3 years.

One of my hibernating projects that I finally picked up again last night is this little Neverland hoodie - the Peter version. Last Spring, a friend and I struck a deal and she crocheted my girls some truly fabulous Power Puff Girls dolls for their birthdays. In return, I knit up a pair of shorties for her baby and started in on this sweater for her son. I'm thankful that the weather isn't calling for wool hoodies at the moment so she might not notice that I'm not done yet (sorry Kris!). I'm almost done with the body and hoping to bring it along to the beach next week and finish it up. I love this pattern so much. It's everything you want in a front buttoning hooded sweater for a small child. Just darling. I can't wait til it's finished.

Another reason I've been neglecting my knitting is that my leisure time has been spent elsewhere - specifically, reading. Last weekend, in less than 24 hours, I read "Something Other Than God" by Jennifer Fulwiler of Conversion Diary - and cried at the end. I am not a crier. I don't cry in movies. I don't cry at books. But I cried at the end because her story is so universal, yet so personal. It was so well written and truly moving, I still get goosebumps thinking about it. Jen is Mama to 6 kids and just seemed like someone I would know - someone I would get. That made reading the book so much more than just reading and more like making a friend. I promptly tweeted her at the end and nerded out when she actually replied. Ohmygosh. If you are looking for an uplifting read this summer, check it out and let me know what you think!


If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to future posts.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!