Thursday, April 8, 2010

Fresh

The past few days have been grey and rainy and anything but gloomy!  I love a good Springtime thunderstorm, listening to the rain tap tapping on the roof and waiting, counting the seconds after a brilliant flash for that low, rumbling BOOM that shakes the whole house.  It was on a grey, rainy evening 2 nights ago that I received that highly anticipated late night call - a baby ready to make his way into the world.

I completed my doula training 3 years ago and, although I love attending births, 4 kids to homeschool and unreliable childcare have rendered me a largely inactive doula, save for special circumstances.  A best friend falls into that category.

There is nothing like the anticipation, quickly grabbing a few essentials, changing out of jammies and into jeans, grabbing the keys and making my way through a sleepy town, roads largely empty, houses dark.  Is there anything quite as exciting as a baby being born?

Birth fascinates me.  It is a completely normal, daily activity.  Thousands of babies are born each and every day.  It is a normal body function of a woman of a certain age.   It is also unbelievable, exciting, miraculous.   I am blown away each and every time.

After a shockingly short 90 minute labor, I find myself homeward bound, unable to contain my smiles, reliving each moment.  What a gift to be included in such a magnificent moment!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After completeing my quilt top, I am now allowing myself to start some new projects - even though the quilt in entirety is not done.  I still need to find the backing.  Last night I visited the fabric store and was so thrilled to find this long coveted fabric at 40% off.  The plan is for it to become jumpers for the girls.



I also picked up some yarn to quickly whip up another baby jacket for Little C's party next week.  This is one I finished in blue that found a home with that freshly born baby mentioned above.



Due to a canceled afternoon meeting and a cold, rainy day, it looks like I'll be snuggling in with some knitting.  Can't think of a better way to spend the afternoon!

3 comments:

  1. I love that fabric! I made a jumper for Geneva (using one of my mom's 70's toddler patterns) out of it. Can't wait to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh Christel I'd love to see the dress you made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has it been 3 years already? I remember when you did your training! I was envious. And now, I am finally starting my own doula journey! I'm wondering how I will do the childcare thing myself, but I'm sure it will work out.

    How awesome to be able to attend a best friend's birth!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!