Friday, December 17, 2010

Handmade Christmas - Elving

One of the things I love about making gifts for my family at Christmas is that it requires very little shopping. While getting out in the crowds and jumble may be a favorite Christmas activity for many, I would much rather sit in my snug little house.  I find this to be especially true on the years when I am incubating a little someone.  I like to pass Advent and Christmas in my own warm little place, with a bit of candlelight, lots of peace and maybe some softly playing music.  Delightfully, creating gifts absolutely requires staying in. 

This has been quite a week for "Elving," to borrow the term from Soulemama.  Although I was a bit burned out by the one knitting project I took along on our trip (so much so that I hardly touched it on the drive home!), I was quickly bolstered in my resolve and ambition when we arrived home.  I made a quick and painless trip to the craft store, and spent a few days frantically creating.

To be honest, I kind of wish I had taken my time, because now I am largely done and it was so fun I almost wish it wasn't over.  I do have a few knitting projects to finish up, so that will have to keep me happy.  With the remaining Christmas, I hope to work with my littles on some things they can be involved with - baking cookies and clay ornaments to take around the neighborhood.

This week I finished up the waldorf dolls for the girls, including making dresses and pantaloons and aprons for them.  I began a little felt Totoro for Joboy, but I need some black felt to complete him, so he is waiting in the wings.  I have 4 little hats waiting for 4 little heads, and 3 sweaters with 1 just needing sleeves before being wrapped up.




Today I do need to go out and run around and find a few surprises for the stockings, but rest assured by nightfall I will be happily back in my little home, enjoying the sights and sounds and smells of the season as it plays out right here.

Bookmark Digg Bookmark Del.icio.us Bookmark Facebook Bookmark Reddit Bookmark StumbleUpon Bookmark Yahoo Bookmark Google Bookmark Technorati Bookmark Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    I just wanted to leave a comment letting you know that through reading your handmade Christmas posts, you encouraged me to order a Waldorf doll kit and make one for my daughter. :) I ordered it from Weir Crafts {today actually} and cannot wait until it arrives and get started on it!
    I love reading your blog and don't comment as often as I should!
    Have a blessed day and thanks again for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!