Monday, February 14, 2011

Changing Seasons


Today is brilliant yellow, sun sinking her teeth once and for all into this thick white blanket that has hidden us, determined to break prisoners free. And I almost feel sorry for the icicles hanging from my eaves - they haven't stopped sobbing big crocodile tears since this morning. Melt away, melt away.

Out with the old, in with the new. Out by the barn, in a small patch of dirt, I saw them - snowdrops, pushing their noses cautiously out of ice cold earth.  I know its just a false thaw, and we could still be buried months from now, but its still a small sign that things are changing...Winter is restless to leave and Spring anxious to begin.

Other things are changing with the seasons. Most notably, a certain little man taking that first big step of independence: forgetting to nurse for an entire day, longer.  I am a mother and so I sit in the dark on the morning he forgets to come in for his daily first feeding, put my face in my hands and think - "if only I had known that was the last time..."  Bittersweet.  Honestly, I am glad and sad, but also secure in knowing I loved every moment of it, and gave him everything I could in this respect.  Growing up is beautiful, even though it can be hard.

Seasons are changing and the years are rolling by.


Remember this.

1) His laugh, a triumph
2) Two boys snowboarding down a giant snow pile in Grandpa's back yard
3) Child-written thank you notes.
4) Pre-dinner tidy up time, Ready, Set, GO!  Off they race.
5) Last echoes of nighttime voices, girls sleepily chatting in the dark
6) Big brother reading to little, snug in bed.
7) All things working together for good
8) Promise and possibility
9) Childlike faith
10) Having one more day of this...all of this.  For just this day, this one more day.

Bookmark Digg Bookmark Del.icio.us Bookmark Facebook Bookmark Reddit Bookmark StumbleUpon Bookmark Yahoo Bookmark Google Bookmark Technorati Bookmark Twitter

4 comments:

  1. Lydia,

    You have such a special way with words. This post really touches a lot of mom's as weaning is such an emotional time - a milestone for them and an ending for us we can't quite explain. I appreciate how you feel and feel it along side you. You are a good momma and are doing so great with your little ones. I hope you have a very blessed day.

    P.S. Thank you for being such an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your description of crying icicles. :-) Our icicles are sobbing, too. But I'm not! I'm so excited for the warmer weather we're having!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Remember this."
    I need to whisper that more through out my day. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I clicked over from Ann’s today. A little late – but there are so many to read!

    First – Your little man – soon will be girlfriends, and college, and grandchildren – all before you know it – and he will always be your baby. No?

    My favorite from your thankful list is this one … 9) Childlike faith (for to such is the kingdom of heaven – amen)

    Oh, and Happy day after Valentine’s Day.

    God Bless and Keep you and your family

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!