Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Challenging Children

Yesterday marked the start of our homeschool co op.  I got up extra early to make sure I consumed enough coffee to make it through the busy day, woke the children and had everyone fed, dressed and out the door on time.  Upon arriving at the church where we hold our co op, I bustled to and fro with all the jobs I needed to accomplish.  Jonah decided it was the perfect time to completely lose it, toddler style.

First, he ran away and tried to join the ballet class.  I retrieved him while he screamed.  Peter hung close in the sling while I dragged Jonah along with us, his body completely transformed into a slippery wet noodle.  He kicked and flailed.  I gritted my teeth and smiled at all the other moms there, praying that he would just.stop.it.

Eventually his class began, and I'm told he behaved just fine for his preschool teachers (thank goodness!).  On the way home, he fell asleep.

From his perspective, this day was all wrong.  He's not normally up that early, or out of the house, or expected to do much more than eat a leisurely breakfast, cuddle with Mama and play with siblings.  Out of nowhere, everything had changed on him, and 2 year olds do not do well with sudden changes.

Still, for this Mama, it was a challenge to see the situation clearly.  I know we all have days like that with our various children.  Which is why I was excited to find this posted on a friends' facebook wall this morning.  What a perfect thought to wake with!  A challenge to check my attitude towards my children.  Check out this great post and consider joining the challenge!

Prayerfully facing today, hoping to listen, to understand, to truly love my children.  Even when its hard.



Bookmark Digg Bookmark Del.icio.us Bookmark Facebook Bookmark Reddit Bookmark StumbleUpon Bookmark Yahoo Bookmark Google Bookmark Technorati Bookmark Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lydia! I enjoyed your post. I get to look forward to such experiences next year. I'm a new follower via GFC. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!