Tuesday, November 8, 2011

In the Autumn Kitchen

Jonah and I have been spending a good amount of time in the kitchen these days. In here, its warm and smells amazing.  I give Jonah bits of dough and he sprinkles it liberally with flour, rolls it out again and again and again.  Meanwhile I crank pies - apple and pumpkin.  I try out a new bread recipe.


The floor is dusted in white flour.  Jonah has it in his hair.  The hours roll by and it really is nice to just stay inside and bake awhile.

These days, I've been making this lovely bread.  In 5 minutes a day, we are eating lovely loaves daily.  It is just so good, I can't keep flour in the cupboard long enough.  I don't have a pizza peel or stone, so I simply use loaf pans instead.  Its made with all purpose flour, so it really should be more of a treat.  Once I get a chance to pick up some wheat gluten, I'll be mixing up this healthier version.



The burden of tending to the nutritional needs of this family falls to me.  Not only do I want the food to be good for them, but taste delicious too.  Lately we've been eating a lot of brown rice with stir fried or steamed vegetables and lots of protein rich beans.  It sticks to their little ribs and packs a nutritional punch as well as tasting pretty darn good!

What's going on in your kitchen?

Bookmark Digg Bookmark Del.icio.us Bookmark Facebook Bookmark Reddit Bookmark StumbleUpon Bookmark Yahoo Bookmark Google Bookmark Technorati Bookmark Twitter

1 comment:

  1. This is my new favorite
    Whole Grain Pizza dough recipe from King Arthur Flour.

    You start it after the kids go to bed the night before and pull it out of the fridge two hours before you want to eat the next evening.

    It's a Sicilian style thick crust, so it can handle some substantial veggies piled on top and is VERY filling.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!