Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Little Bit of Chocolate



Last weekend my cousin threw a baby shower and asked me to bring along a dessert to help out.  I was glad that she mentioned that something chocolate might be good, because chocolate I can do...rather well.

I've been making brownies since I was a young teen - first for my family, and then for friends and cute boys.  My sister and I probably baked at least one batch a week, not to mention for Mom's annual Christmas Eve party.  My mom kept our cupboards stocked with supplies and everyone seemed to appreciate the a fresh pan of brownies pulled from the oven.

Because of my long history of baking and adoring brownies, I have the recipe, um, memorized.  Yes.  So when I remembered very last minute that I needed to make a batch, I mixed some up in no time (at midnight, no less.).  You can, too.  Just follow along!

"Jentzen Brownies"  (only called that because we made them so very often growing up!)

4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate squares
2/3 C plus 2 TBS butter
2 C sugar
4 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 1/4 C flour

In a microwave safe mixing bowl, melt butter and chocolate squares (you may have to mix then wave, mix then wave). Add sugar and then beat in eggs.  Add vanilla.  Mix in baking powder, salt and flour.  Pour batter into 9x13 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Allow to cool completely.

Icing:
1/4 C butter
2 C powdered sugar
2T Milk
1 t vanilla extract (or try peppermint for Christmas!)

Ice brownies.  Allow to harden slightly (put it in the fridge to speed this up)

Glaze:
2 TB Butter
1.5 squares baking chocolate

Pour glaze over iced brownies and use a spatula to carefully cover completely.  Place in fridge to cool/harden topping completely.

Cut up and serve!
Bookmark Digg Bookmark Del.icio.us Bookmark Facebook Bookmark Reddit Bookmark StumbleUpon Bookmark Yahoo Bookmark Google Bookmark Technorati Bookmark Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!