Thursday, May 31, 2012

How To Hang On



“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Matthew 5:14-16


I snap the laptop shut and shove it under the couch, out of sight for the moment.  I hope I can get it out of my mind.  I like my bubble but sometimes even this bubble can be burst, a quick scroll through the news feed enough to derail my whole day.

I'm insulated here.  My world looks like the things I surround myself with - large families and committed marriages and loved children and hard but happy hallelujahs.  I feel safe here; understood.  I'm lulled into a false sense that the things I value, the rest of the world does, too.

But it doesn't.  And sometimes the sinister storm on the horizon breaks into this bubble and stains the rest of my day with dark thoughts of the uncertainty of the coming days.  My stomach flips and I clutch these little people just a bit closer, wondering what is to become of us all.

When the world is filled with hurt and violence and selfishness and sin, where the weakest and starving and needy are exploited by powerful people with evil plots, the only place we can find the sunshine is in the Son.  The clouds open up with a crack of thunder and rain drums down.  I close the window and flip on soft hymns before turning to start the dishes.

The only way to hang on is to keep on this path.  I light a candle a friend gave me, made of the melted prayers of many,  and read the inscription:

"Be praised, my Lord, through Brother Fire through whom You brighten the night."

It's us.  He ignites and we brighten and the whole world could glow if we can just hold on. 

It's us, we're the ones, who see Him and His hand in all things.  Who can have hope at all times.  We can hang on because we know who holds it all.  It's His light shining out through us that can light up the whole world.

 Light cannot be swallowed up by darkness and in this little house on this dark night, we'll be burning bright.  Even if the rest of the world blinks out, we'll be burning, still. 

The flame flickers, and I nod back, holding on.


1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I'm pretty good about staying in the bubble, too, but occasionally something will break in and knock my knees out and take my breath away and all I can say is "Thy kingdom come (quickly, please!)" though tears. Scary stuff. - Karis

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!