Friday, November 30, 2012

Mindful Christmas






Emails are pouring into my inbox, subjects shouting "LAST CHANCE for 40% OFF!"  This isn't my first rodeo and I know that the sales will just keep coming right up to Christmas, yet even I can get a bit anxious, thinking I am running out of time for this Christmas before it has even begun.

We're thinking ahead to Advent and I'm hoping for a restful season.  I find, year after year, that a peaceful holiday really has quite a bit to do with my state of mind.  The more I stress and fret, the less peaceful it is for the whole family.  This year I am really hoping to look at each day as a gift, nothing as an emergency, and keep things as flexible as possible.

This time of year, it can be hard to see that maybe there really can be too much of a good thing.  Opportunities for various celebrations with friends, concerts and ballets and pageants, tree lightings and cookie exchanges - all good, happy things.  But also, if barreled into unchecked, things that could lead to more stress and struggle, especially for the Mama in the house.  I'm hoping to guard against these feelings this year - in being mindful of what we participate in and making sure that we have lots of open time in - between.  Time for quiet nights at home with candles flickering and read alouds.  Time for a pajama movie night with cousins.  Time to breathe and meditate on this Holy time of year.

Keeping a Mindful Christmas is an exercise in restraint, something I'm not always good at.  But perhaps by holding back a bit, I could unwrap even more joy this season.

How do you stave off stress during Christmas time?  Do you restrict the events and activities your family participates in?


If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or follow me by email at the top right hand of the screen to have future posts sent to you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!