Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Summer Reading






We signed up every year as kids.  I remember skipping down the street to our library with my siblings, anxious to get started.  We'd sign up with the librarian and bring home stacks of books, spend that first afternoon reading and excitedly checking off the minutes.  Summer Reading programs - a yearly tradition.

While I love the slow, natural flow of these summer days when anything is possible, it's nice to have a little project like this to work on, to keep us coming together for a bit every day.  Each of my three independent readers read on their own, a book of their preference, and then I read aloud to everyone.  It's a bit of a challenge to come up with read alouds that keep everyone's attention, but so far, so good.  We get out crayons and paper to keep hands busy, or the little ones look at picture books while I read.

At the end of our library's program, if each child gets through the 14 hours of reading, they get to pick out their very own book to keep.  I just love how the reward for reading is more reading.  Most libraries have free summer reading programs for children, so I urge you to check out your local library and sign up!

We're also working on our vocabulary by learning a new word every day using the SuperKids Vocabulary Builder website.  

So what are we reading?  Well, right now we are doing a few chapters of Mrs. Piggle Wiggle's Magic, something that keeps everyone entertained.  I'd also like to do the Phantom Tollbooth and From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs.Basil E. Frankwieler over the summer.  It is so fun to revisit books I loved with my own kids - like reconnecting with old friends.


If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to future posts.  Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. We love summer reading through our local library. I am currently reading Stuart Little with my littles, and encouraging my soon to be second grader in some independent reading. We have read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle too. Based on your recommendation we are adding
    http://www.amazon.com/From-Mixed-up-Files-Basil-Frankweiler/dp/1416949755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370959800&sr=8-1&keywords=from+the+mixed+up+files to our list too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!