Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Feeling Make-y

{Today I am linking up with Ginny and her lovely Knit Along.  Also, today I'm being featured over at Mothering Spirit, talking about what nourishes my Mothering Spirit.  A little hint - it has to do with making!  If you have a chance, please also check out my post on Pure and Simple about our life and the role handmade plays in it.  Lots of posts today!  Enjoy!}

"Mom, you've been really make-y lately."

"Oh?  What do you mean?"

"Well, you've been knitting like crazy, sewing, and baking a whole lot."

I suppose it's true.  I have been rather make-y here lately.  Perhaps it's the sub-zero temperatures that keep us tucked inside that are giving me that need to do, to make.  Or maybe it's that manic 3rd trimester pregnancy energy.  Whatever the cause, I have been making things quite a bit more than normal.

I've got a lot of yarn laying around here, and lately I'm doing my best to use it up.  Baby things work well, as they require smaller amounts of the stuff and it is rare that I have more than one skein of spare yarn laying idly in my stash basket.



Thus, for this week, a very gender neutral Owlie baby sleep sack.  I knit it up once, made it to slightly past the cabling, and pulled the whole thing out.  The pooling of the colors was just not doing it for me.  Thankfully this is one yarn that I actually do have 2 skeins, and I was able to alternate them a row at a time to make the pooling a bit less noticeable.



I also finished this little vest out of the yarn I dyed last week.  At first I wasn't sure if I liked the shade of purple that I ended up with, but as it knit up I absolutely fell in love.  The pattern is the Milo vest, with no cabling.  I'm hoping the 9 month size will fit my little one in the Fall.

Using up stash yarn makes me feel just a bit less guilty about the yarn on the way (ahem) for a new project - Fiona's birthday sweater.  Well, maybe not totally less guilty, but I'll take it.

On Monday, the boys and I sewed up a few pair of trousers for my sister's baby - yes, another darling cousin on the way, due just 5 days before my "guess date."  In 3 month size, hopefully these will see him through the Connecticut springtime.  I've got plans to make a few more to match the various vests, booties and hats that are piling up at random around here for our very own little one.

Yes, I've been feeling make-y lately...


{Psst!  Are we friends on Ravelry?  I would love to connect with you over there!}


If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to future posts.  Thank you.

26 comments:

  1. You have been busy! Everything looks great - I love the purple yarn you dyed. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tess! I might be addicted to dyeing now...

      Delete
  2. Make-y indeed! Such lovely knits. The colorway on the sack is beautiful and doesn't appear to be pooling with the alternating skeins - great insight! And the wee vest is adorable. Good luck with all the making this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, such sweet knits. Looking forward to seeing your finished owlie sack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make-y. Hmm, I like that term instead of obsessively casting on different projects. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such sweet projects! I love the purple yarn you dyed. It's just right in so many ways. I love your blog also, very much!! I'm very happy to have happened upon it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gretchen! Purple is my favorite color, and I'm a bit obsessed with how this turned out. I see more in my future! Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  6. I just finished a Milo this week too. I think yours is a lovely shade of purple. the colder temperatures are making me make-y as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that you're using this time to make all these lovely baby knits - I'd be exactly the same, I think, if I got another chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hardly control myself! I imagine I'd be much worse though, if the baby were due in the fall and not the spring. Knowing that handknits won't be much appreciated in June is helping me reign it in, if just a little bit.

      Delete
  8. Hi Lydia I've been wanting to learn to knit for a while now and your blog makes me want to start even more. Do you have any suggestions on how to get started? I'm talking very basics, like what tools you need to begin. :) Any websites, videos, etc. that you would recommend? Your things are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Casey! I recommend www.knittinghelp.com. Lots of great videos and helps there!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful knits! I'm also in my third trimester and working on a sleep sack for our new baby. :-) Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful knitting, and such wonderful colours. I just love the owl motif.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lydia, I loved visiting your blog today. I read through "About" and "FAQ", etc. I will be sure to come back and visit; so beautiful! Thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I saw that you "friended" me on Ravelry too! So pleased to meet you!

      Delete
  12. Such lovely projects going one! We received a Milo as a gift for my fourth baby who was born last fall. She has gotten so much use out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a few for my youngest son and he wore them so much! Definitely handy to have around during our cold Michigan winters!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful knits! Love the purple.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The owlie sleep sack is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. lydia, what a dear blog you have and how much you remind me of (much younger) me. many years ago i was mothering my five babies, living in an old house, homeschooling, gardening, crafting, knitting...i always used to say i had a baby on my back and little ones all around me too. i loved every moment. lovely little knits, there is nothing better than knitting for baby! take good care, lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! Trying to enjoy these moments as much as I can, knowing they don't last forever!

      Delete
  16. Your knits look fabulous. I love the little owl sleepsack - I'm sure your new little one will love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!