Monday, July 28, 2014

Soul Seeking In Chaos #MindfulMotheringMondays



"I need that morning time. Before the kids are up, I need to just sit alone for a while, hear my own thoughts and pray my own prayers."

My friend has found her place, how she best stilled the mania of life at the center of a family and was able to surface, just a bit, for some air. Without intention, without a plan, the days can just wash right over us with all their needs and noise and we can lose, big. Giving your life away to your family shouldn't mean starving your soul and sometimes I forget that, forget me, and run myself right into the ground.

The older I get, the more I realize how kinetic I am.

Sitting still is not and has never been a strong suit of mine. She talks about her all important alone time and how good it feels to just sit quietly with a cup of coffee and I think - oh, I'd be so bored.

Bored because, for me, movement inspires thought. Without it, I'm not sure what to do. Movement unlocks my imagination, stirs my spirit, awakens all of me. Whether in a ballet class as a teen or cleaning up a kitchen as a Mom, movement moves me into my brainspace. I can only write on a computer, fingers flying over keys like I'm playing an instrument. I do my best thinking while moving, chatting with my best friend while furiously folding laundry or scrubbing a tub.

A few days ago I settled my babies down for naps while the big kids played outside. With no book to read and feeling a bit uninspired with my knitting, I turned on my kitchen. A sink full of dishes, a floor that needed mopping - and me. I turned on the water and it was like I resurfaced inside myself. In a quiet house, I could have sat somewhere alone. Instead, I worked. I baked. And I thought, deep and hard.

Looking out across the dusty yard, desperate for rain, I found myself. I talked with God. I get so caught up in all the outward world and completely forget to just turn in. Look up. And remember who I am and why I am.

Setting things right, neatly lining up stitches or sweeping a floor clean is more than just an action to me. The methodical straightening of life puts my wheels on the track and from there I can go - escaping the confines of this little house and these little people and reaching for something more. Something deeper. Something that refreshes and revitalizes me and sets me back on my feet, ready to plunge right back in.

Hours later, when the babies awakened and kids covered in dust tramped back in, the house was clean and cookies were baked and I felt centered. Reassured. Found, for the first time in so long. I don't need elaborate get aways or coffee shop alone time. I just need to move. When I do, I surface, stretching out and inhabiting all of me again.

Reminded of my purpose, my passions, my peace. Filled up and ready to get back to it.





”Small


{It's Mindful Mothering Mondays, a day to take a deep breath and write out your mothering journey, whatever form it takes. A day to link up for encouragement from others who are in this same phase of life. A day of writing out the trials and triumphs and what you're learning right where you are, right now.

You might post recent struggles or thoughts. Maybe just a picture or a quote. Or maybe you'll just come here and read the links that others post. Whatever form your participation takes, this is a day for you.
We are all in this, together. Together, we can encourage and build one another up, be honest with our shortcomings and strengthened by community to keep fighting the good fight.

I chose Mondays because what Mama doesn't need a little encouragement on a Monday? As such, I'll have the link up ready to go on Sunday night for you to begin submitting your links.

I hope you'll meet with me each Monday! Here's what to do ~

Link up your post below in the comments. Remember to put the link to the exact post you want to link, and not just your blog url. Include in your post a link back here so others who want to join in can find us! And visit some other Mamas who have linked up.

Post the community graphic within your post, so people who are reading your Mindful Mothering post can come back here and find the rest of us!

Invite the writers of your favorite blogs to join in!

Share this meme with others on facebook and twitter. This community is for all moms, and the more that participate, the more we will be able to enjoy!!}

Grab the graphic here:

”Small



If you enjoyed this post, please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to future posts.  Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I'll take that cup of coffee alone in the mornings :) But, I hear you. Thanks for the post! Here's mine :)

    http://journeymom801.blogspot.com/2014/07/reflections-mindfulmotheringmondays.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate to this so very much! I find that especially true when it seems that my house is a bit out of control... I tend to clean. It's good for my soul... in fact, I think about having an hour of uninterrupted time and dream of finishing a dresser for our new baby's room! Productive, creative, physical.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love hearing from you! While you're here, don't forget to click "subscribe"!